[squid-users] squid and BIND 8.2

From: Michael Schmidt <myrddral_de@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 11:26:50 +0200 (CEST)

Hello!

I'm trying to use squid and BIND DNS 8.2. I think I configured my DNS server properly (I'm able to
ping all the aliases defined from my server machine).
E.g. when I enter:
> ping SERVER
PING SERVER (127.0.0.1) from 127.0.0.1 : 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from SERVER (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=0.051 ms
64 bytes from SERVER (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=0.043 ms
my DNS is able to convert name SERVER to IP-address.

Using Netscape explorer with SERVER as proxy, there is no convertion:

>While trying to retrieve the URL: http://SERVER/
>The following error was encountered:
>Unable to determine IP address from host name for SERVER
>The dnsserver returned:
>Server Failure: The name server was unable to process this query.
>
>This means that:
> The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
> Check if the address is correct.
> Your cache administrator is webmaster.
> Generated Thu, 05 Sep 2002 09:21:26 GMT by hsppc08.local (Squid/2.4.STABLE3)

I think squid doesnt forward the names to my DNS server. What shall I configure?

Here my settings in squid.conf:

# TAG: cache_dns_program
# Note: This option is only available if Squid is rebuilt with the
# --disable-internal-dns option
#
# Specify the location of the executable for dnslookup process.
#
#Default:
# cache_dns_program /usr/sbin/

# TAG: dns_children
# Note: This option is only available if Squid is rebuilt with the
# --disable-internal-dns option
#
# The number of processes spawn to service DNS name lookups.
# For heavily loaded caches on large servers, you should
# probably increase this value to at least 10. The maximum
# is 32. The default is 5.
#
# You must have at least one dnsserver process.
#
#Default:
#dns_children 5
# TAG: dns_retransmit_interval
# Initial retransmit interval for DNS queries. The interval is
# doubled each time all configured DNS servers have been tried.
#
#
#Default:
# dns_retransmit_interval 5 seconds

# TAG: dns_timeout
# DNS Query timeout. If no response is received to a DNS query
# within this time then all DNS servers for the queried domain
# is assumed to be unavailable.
#
#Default:
# dns_timeout 5 minutes
# TAG: dns_defnames on|off
# Note: This option is only available if Squid is rebuilt with the
# --disable-internal-dns option
#
# Normally the 'dnsserver' disables the RES_DEFNAMES resolver
# option (see res_init(3)). This prevents caches in a hierarchy
# from interpreting single-component hostnames locally. To allow
# dnsserver to handle single-component names, enable this
# option.
#
#Default:
# dns_defnames off

# TAG: dns_nameservers
# Use this if you want to specify a list of DNS name servers
# (IP addresses) to use instead of those given in your
# /etc/resolv.conf file.
#
# Example: dns_nameservers 10.0.0.1 192.172.0.4
#
#Default:
dns_nameservers 127.0.0.1

Any idea what is wrong?