Re: [squid-users] removing objects from memory cache?

From: Ricardo Kustner <hammer1@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 22:05:15 +0200

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> A PURGE is meant to remove the object from the cache no matter which
> of the two "caches" it is in.
> What result do you cet from the PURGE request?
> What is logged in access.log for the PURGE request and on the next
> request after the PURGE?

I just tried to reproduce it and now it seems my problem is a bit
different... If I test a single dynamic page which displays the current
time; IE always shows the statically cached version, but as soon as I
PURGE it, it does show an updated version so that seems to work fine...

So my guess is that it could be that the process of cleaning a whole
site with hundreds of pages from the cache (using
http://www.cache.dfn.de/DFN-Cache/Development/Purge/, which finds the
objects in the file cache and constructs the PURGE requests)
sends a lot of PURGE requests in a short time; meanwhile the websites
are still being accessed by clients so maybe something goes wrong,
causing some of the PURGE request to get lost?

I'm just guessing here... it's kinda weird and hard to reproduce.
It turns out that a Mozilla-reload *always* makes squid serve a fresh
document (no need for a PURGE) so that seems to be unrelated.

Ricardo.