Re: [squid-users] Squid User Password Change

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:13:27 +0200

Alphonso Francis wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I would like the users to change their password, but without running a web
> server running on the squid server. currently, we are using nsca
> authentication.
>
> Any work around?

Depends on where you want the passwords stored.

HTTP as such does not have a "change password" operation, and you will need
some application where the user can request the password change. If you do
not want a web server for the purpose you will need some other mechanism.

Generally the best approach to this problem is to have the proxy integrate
with an existing login+password database you already have within your
organisation. This will make the proxy password the same as used for logging
in to the computer, and no need for a specific method of changing the proxy
password (as there is no separate password for the proxy).