[squid-users] ldap auth & Novell problem

From: Matthew Kaminski <matthew.kaminski@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:38:30 +1200

Hello everybody.
Several months ago I installed squid proxy server for the public school I
work for. A week ago I was asked to provide the facilites to track users on
the internet. I installed the squid_ldap_auth module which is authenticating
users to the NDS (Novell direstory services) LDAP server. It doesnt work as
great as it promised. Problem is that it works for most users, but not for
all. After24 hours of operation I recieved about 10 complaints from the
users that it doesnt work. Basically users enters the credidentials, and
after couple of seconds it again pops up the login/pass dialog box, and
after several tries it finally comes up with "acces denied, you must be
authenticated, etc, etc" message. Some users say that it sometimes work and
sometimes not. I created temporary account, which works, but several ppl
here are using it right now (hence i cant really track them). I need the
authentication to be fool-proof. Please note, that when I run the
squid_ldap_auth module from the linux command line, it works for everyone,
so it is definitely not the novell/ldap problem. I strongly suspect it is
internal squid problem. If i'm unable to provide 100% reliable method then
I'll need to say goodbye to squid and install Border Manager, or other
proxy/tracking software. But i would like to stick to squid... I like linux
so much. Any comments appreciated. Thanks in advance.

regards,

Matthew Kaminski
Network Administrator

Howick College