Re: [squid-users] Testing squid performance

From: Wei Keong <chooweikeong@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:29:21 +0800 (Singapore Standard Time)

Hi Henrik,

> Squid is supposed to automatically stop accepting new requests when the
> load gets to high, the problem is that Squid is currently very poor at
> determining what the current load is and when it is to high..

What are the specific things Squid will check to determine if it's highly
loaded?

Am testing squid performance and am puzzled with the results i got. When i
load test by forwarding requests, the performance seems to be very bad.
Please see below to understand what i mean:

a) when i forward request from 2 children

cache_peer x.x.x.x parent 3128 3130 proxy-only no-digest no-query
never_direct allow all

req/s fd r.ave r.miss r.hits
------- ---- ------ ------ ------
73.3794 456 0.4958 0.6155 0.0290
72.7973 330 0.4697 0.6155 0.0274
71.9850 427 0.4958 0.6497 0.0343 < forwarding
93.2815 2102 0.9485 1.2427 0.1870 starts
104.1756 2639 2.1328 3.2853 1.0567
110.3685 2359 5.3411 6.6287 1.6280
109.5690 2567 5.3411 6.6287 1.6280
116.6072 2257 4.7944 5.6375 1.4613
116.2447 1402 4.7944 5.9502 1.5424

b) when no forwarding

req/s fd r.ave r.miss r.hits
------- ---- ------ ------ ------
103.2462 944 0.3783 0.8065 0.0741
107.1968 922 0.3783 0.8986 0.1028
103.5635 791 0.3394 0.8065 0.0664
102.4372 791 0.3394 0.7239 0.0452
106.1969 732 0.3993 0.8986 0.0922
105.0222 831 0.3993 0.8986 0.1211

What puzzled me most is the fact that the same machine is capable of
handling 120 req/s during daily peak period and the response time is
always below 1 sec. Did we misconfigure our children to cause this strange
parent behaviour?

Please advise. Thanks.

Rgds,
Wei Keong