Re: [squid-users] Restart Squid with a clean cache

From: Mike Diggins <diggins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:01:42 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, [iso-8859-1] Jairo.Castaņeda wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to restart my Squid with a clean cache because changes made to
> documents in our intranet are not being seen by the users as squid serves
> them with copies from the cache. I read the FAQ question 7.3 and it pointed
> me to two different ways of doing this. However I have some doubts:
>
> 1. It says that this info applies to version 2.2 (I'm using Squid
> 2.4STABLE7). Is it still useful?
> 2. Which of the two methods is better?
> 3. Is it safe and sound to repeat this process very often? I will have to
> because people working in the intranet need that any change made to the
> files in it has to be seen inmediately by the users. Webmin would the right
> the tool to do this, would it? since I just need to purge some specific
> documents (PDF and DOC)

Deleting your entire cache seems a bit extreme! Why not tell squid not to
cache for your local sites? Intranet servers and LAN's are generally quick
so you're not likely to benefit from caching that content.

Another approach would be to manually refresh the cached content by
opening the site in question in your browser and CTRL-Refresh (IE) or
Shift-Reload (Netscape). This will tell Squid to update its content.

-Mike