[squid-users] Which Compiler for Squid on Linux x86?

From: Jim Richey <jrichey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:49:52 -0400

Which compiler should I be using these days to build Squid on Linux x86?
Is the latest GCC 3.x version stable enough or should I stay with
2.95.x? The Intel compiler for Linux can produce some lightening fast
code for Intel processors, but the commercial license can get quite
expensive. I played around with the non-commercial version on an old
PentiumPro system and Squid latency was noticably less than when using
GCC 2.95.3. The GCC 3.x version has some processor specific
optimizations as well, but I'd like to know if anyone has had any
stability problems with code built using this version before I persue
it. Thanks.

--
Jim Richey
jrichey@highmark.com