Re: [squid-users] Which Compiler for Squid on Linux x86?

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:11:18 -0500

On Friday 13 September 2002 09:49 am, Jim Richey wrote:
> Which compiler should I be using these days to build Squid on Linux
> x86? Is the latest GCC 3.x version stable enough or should I stay with
> 2.95.x? The Intel compiler for Linux can produce some lightening fast
> code for Intel processors, but the commercial license can get quite
> expensive. I played around with the non-commercial version on an old
> PentiumPro system and Squid latency was noticably less than when using
> GCC 2.95.3. The GCC 3.x version has some processor specific
> optimizations as well, but I'd like to know if anyone has had any
> stability problems with code built using this version before I persue
> it. Thanks.

You know that Intel's compiler for Linux is free for non-commercial use,
right? Unless you're planning on selling the Squid binaries generated by
the compiler, licensing costs shouldn't be an issue.

This Squid user would be interested in hearing more of your experiences in
using Intel's compiler with Squid.

Thanks.