[squid-users] Squid slows down when cache directory full

From: Eugene Geldenhuys <eugeneg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:15:48 +0800

Hi

I'm having a problem with Squid version 2.2.STABLE4 when the
cache directory approaches the size specified in the squid.conf
parameter cache_dir.

Squid slows down to a "wading through molasses" state with the
system accessing the hard drive constantly.
Starting and stopping squid has no effect, rebooting the system
has no effect and the only way I can fix the problem is by deleting
everything in the cache directory and restarting squid with the -z
parameter to rebuild the directory.
After this rather radical fix, everything works again.
I have confirmed this to be a common problem as 10 of the servers
I have in the field have suffered this condition.

Anyone have an answer?

Best Regards
Eugene Geldenhuys
MCNE ECNE MCSE MCP

TFX SOLUTIONS -
PROFESSIONAL NETWORK DESIGN ,IMPLEMENTATION AND SUPPORT