Re: [squid-users] Squid slows down when cache directory full

From: Ilker Gokhan <ilker.gokhan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:23:16 +0300

Eugene Geldenhuys wrote:
> Hi
> Squid slows down to a "wading through molasses" state with the
> system accessing the hard drive constantly.
> Starting and stopping squid has no effect, rebooting the system
> has no effect and the only way I can fix the problem is by deleting
> everything in the cache directory and restarting squid with the -z
> parameter to rebuild the directory.
> After this rather radical fix, everything works again.
> I have confirmed this to be a common problem as 10 of the servers
> I have in the field have suffered this condition.
[There is no way to start squid again after pollution of cache]

AFAIK, squid 2.3 version has got the same problem with LRU (Linked-list)
cache replacement alogrithm. So squid 2.2 version may get the same
situation especially with LRU algorithm. Try also other cache algorithm.
(GDSF or LFUDA) These were implemented to squid after 2.2 st3 version.

Best regards,
Ilker G.