Re: [squid-users] Question on sibling relationships

From: Wei Keong <chooweikeong@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:20:30 +0800 (Singapore Standard Time)

Hi,

I think there might be mistake in the squid conf. Please correct me if I'm
wrong.

# TAG: nonhierarchical_direct
# By default, Squid will send any non-hierarchical requests
# (matching hierarchy_stoplist or not cachable request type) direct
# to origin servers.
#
# If you set this to off, then Squid will prefer to send these
# requests to parents.
#
#Default:
# nonhierarchical_direct on

# TAG: prefer_direct
# Normally Squid tries to use parents for most requests. If you by
# some reason like it to first try going direct and only use a
# parent if going direct fails then set this to off.
#
#
#Default:
# prefer_direct off

From the explaination above, i got this:

nonhierarchical_direct off --> send all nonhierarchical req to parents
prefer_direct on --> send req to parents, if cant go direct

Seems to be different from what is mentioned:

# By combining nonhierarchical_direct off and prefer_direct on you
# can set up Squid to use a parent as a backup path if going direct
# fails.

my $0.02,
Wei Keong