Re: [squid-users] Configuring for WCCP

From: Ilker Gokhan <ilker.gokhan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:28:57 +0300

Mike Saunders wrote:
> First off, right now we're using an access-map on our cisco
> router to redirect all outbound port 80 requests to our squid machine.
> My understanding was that with WCCP it will send to my cache server, and
> if it detects the cache server is down, it will stop redirecting web
> traffic and the customers will go directly to the host. Is this
> correct?
Absolutely this is correct.

 From wccp documents:

When removing a dead cache from a farm the router sends a Removal Query
to the dead cache after missing 3 Here-I-Am messages - or 30 seconds. If
the cache does not reply to the Removal query within 20 seconds it is
then removed from the Router View which is propagated to the cache.

> Second, what advantages does WCCP offer vs. transparent
> redirection like I'm doing now? Any responses on or off the list would
> be greatly appreciated.

-Fault tolerans
-Load balancing

Hope this helps..