RE: [squid-users] Hardware Recommendations

From: <sean.upton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 16:54:09 -0700

I'm only familiar with hardware to scale for accelerator use, but here are a
few tips:

1 - If you plan to log with mime_hdrs on (you likely might), dedicate more
space for logs; I would switch the amounts you have for cache and logs.
2 - RAID 1 has high read speed, but write speed is both similar to a single
spindle and dependant upon the caching characteristics of your RAID
controller. I would be concerned about having your logs write to another
spindle set than your cache; I would also suggest RAID0 for cache, because
if your raid gets hosed, you are not losing critical data, and you will get
better write performance (and more space for the price). I don't think that
SCSI is key (not from the performance angle anyway); suitable IDE raid
options are out there too.
3 - If you are running redirectors, go the dual CPU route.
4 - Opt for more ram if you can.
5 - Dual AMD is a better value proposition that dual Xeon any day, but
cooling must be done right.

Others may have better, more specific answers...

Sean