[squid-users] Hardware Recommendations

From: Alex Short <alex@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:05:42 -0400 (EDT)

What are people's recommendation for hardware. I will be running squid on
a linux box for ~200 workstations at work. I am not positive either the
size of the cache, amount of memory, or cpu that should be placed in this
box to get maximum output. Cost as always is a concern, but from what
i've read, SCSI is key. A 1u is probably in my future and those typically
come with 2x18 gig drives in a raid 1 configuration. I will be keeping a
log of access logs, so i figured 10gig to cache, 5gig to logs, rest to OS.
I wasn't aware of diskd but i'm guessing its something i should look at
from what i've read. Also, what would be best suited for this setup, a
P4-2ghz with 512, a P4-1ghz with 1gig of ram? Where does cpu and ram rate
in terms of squid performance.

Thanks
Alex