RE: [squid-users] Hardware Recommendations

From: Matt Kehler <mkehler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 21:31:28 -0500

IMHO, I can't really see only 200 workstations needing much... I run
800 users or so off one box..and to tell you the truth, I'm not even
sure what the box is. Our Novell Bordermanager cache box died one
day..and IT WAS spec'ed to the nuts with hardware (2 gigs ram, dual cpu,
15k scsi drives, etc). As a quick fix I loaded squid on an older server
we had..I THINK its a p2 400, 256megs ram, one 9gig 7200rpm scsi drive.

...and the squid is slightly faster than the Border was. And the
Bordermanager WAS tuned as well..the squid was out of the box Redhat.

just my 2 cents
Matt

>>> <sean.upton@uniontrib.com> 09/21/02 20:44 PM >>>
Good point about the multiple cache_dir lines. This is even in the
Squid
FAQ, I think... so it doe make sense to not bother with RAID for the
cache
dir. Though RAID 10 (if you can get 4 disks) might make some sense for
writing logs (perhaps overkill, though?). Going the JBOD route might
work
out well... if rack density is a concern, there are options for dense
external SCSI JBOD chassis out there in 1U and 2U config to add on to a
1U
server (from 4 to 12 external drives); this might be worth your while if
you
absolutely need a storage upgrade (in the future, not now, I guess).

Sean