Re: [squid-users] Popup login and password box with Winbind authenticators

From: Jerry Murdock <jmurdock@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:16:13 -0400

About as I expected.

Your winbind setup seems sound, and the basic wb_auth helper appears to be
functioning correctly.

What is significant is that IE is only displaying the basic auth dialog. To
my knowledge IE will not fall back to basic auth if ntlm has been offered -
which means either squid is not offering ntlm or IE isn't seeing it. IOW, I
doubt it is a helper problem or a winbind problem, but something going in
with squid before it gets that far.

Are you sure squid was configured with '--enable-auth="ntlm,basic"' ?

I'm not sure how much of the ntlm code is conditionally included, or if any
errors would be generated if you tried to load an ntlm helper without
enabling ntlm in configure.

Jerry