Re: [squid-users] Popup login and password box with Winbind authenticators

From: Jerry Murdock <jmurdock@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 21:47:00 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Norris" <PaulNorris@CunninghamResearch.com>
To: "'Jerry Murdock'" <jmurdock@itraktech.com>;
<squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 8:35 PM
Subject: RE: [squid-users] Popup login and password box with Winbind
authenticators

> Could this have something to do with the fact that I don't see
> <Domain><Winbindseparator><username> when I do wbinfo -u or -g? I don't
> really have a clue, I'm just thinking out loud.

No, that sounds normal.

Fire up ethereal or the like and look at the conversation between squid and
IE.

The first response from squid should be a 407 Proxy Authentication Required
and include a header line like:
Proxy-Authenticate: NTLM

Jerry

A sample conversation for an initial request from one of my test machines:

IE:
===
GET http://www.cisco.com/ HTTP/1.0
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/msword,
application/pdf, */*
CLR 1.0.3705)
Host: www.cisco.com
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive

Squid Response:
HTTP/1.0 407 Proxy Authentication Required
Server: Squid/2.5-DEVEL