Re: [squid-users] FATAL: Received Segment Violation...dying.

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:01:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

that's still some kind of attempt to access a null pointer. you might
try building it with either gcc 2.96 or 3.0.1 I would also definently move
to 2.5 at this point.

I'm running 2.5 pre 11 on a similar setup... One thing ZI would note from
a performance standpoint is that if by mirror you mean raid-1 you would
be better server by unstriping the drives and putting a 15 GB partition on
each one...

joelja

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, squidlist wrote:

> Hi squid users!!!
>
> I have a HUGE problem and was hoping someone out there would have some
> advise. I am involved in a large squid implementation for my company
> (16,000 plus users). Today we tried to cut our users over today and as
> traffic ramped up (around 600 clients on 1 proxy, 5200 requests per min) the
> squid process died and I found FATAL: Received Segment Violation...dying in
> the cache log. These machines hardware did not seem to have any problem
> with the traffic but the squid process just could not take the load. The
> details on the proxies.
>
> 2 of the following load balaning the traffic
>
> Compaq DL-360 dual 1.3ghz
> 3 GB RAM
> dual scsi 36 GB drives in a mirror RAID
> 15 GB partition for cache
>
> squid 2.4 STABLE 7
> smartfilter 3.1.1
> SUSE 8.0
> compiled with 2.95.3
>
> At first reading the archieves I thought it was a gcc optimization issue but
> I found a post the said ./configure auto disables gcc optimazation options
> in squid 2.4 STABLE 7. That being said can anyone help me out and point me
> in the right direction???? I thought about compiling with a new version of
> gcc but since -O was already disabled I have no idea what that would even
> do.
>
> I am hoping someone has done this big a squid implementation. I am hoping
> squid can handle it and that we can have another win for open source.

Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but