[squid-users] security, auditing, intrustion detection, internet junkbuster plugin...(was RE: [squid-users] How to record squid traffic?)

From: Linda <squid-user@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 10:59:42 -0700

----
	What if the data were filtered based on client-IP, time or sitename?
	Let's say I have my PC running, and I want to record any traffic
that my PC generates when I am in bed.  I.e. -- suppose there are automatic
update or information requests made by the PC at 2 or 3 am -- that I don't
want to prevent -- I just want a complete record of what was asked for and
what came back (assuming it wasn't encrypted).
	Is that not-quite-sane, or is keeping track of automatic appliance or
PC updates not a good security practice?
	Another example -- suppose I am a large brokerage that is required
to keep records of all customer interactions.  One of those is a web-chat
that works through a standard http proxy like squid.  Does it make
more sense to record the data at each client, or to configure all clients
to use 1 squid proxy that records all the traffic?
	Another example - as data comes from a server back to a client
through squid -- I want to examine that data and remove harmful content.
Perhaps harmful is defined to be all VBS script, or all objectional content --
purely up to the site policy -- but if it is harmful VBS script -- maybe I want
to quarantine the harmful content for later study.
	Another example -- intrusion/trojan detection/analysis.  If I have
loaded a trojan server onto my system, I'd like to filter on all HTTP traffic
to/from my system and record anything suspicious.  Perhaps, as you say, it
involves recording *everything*, but that could be a use for those
large, multi-gig disks.  If one has a 128kb (-> 16kB) link, a 128GB disk would
take 97 days to fill if it was going full speed 24x7.  At even 40% usage, that
goes up to 243 days, uncompressed.  Compress that...easily 3x storage, now one
disk will last close to 2 years.  Of course the logging disk can be attached
to a different system (say an old 120MHz pentium) that only allows console
logins.
	A little bit of filtering (not recording cnn, slashdot, sec-foc,
linux-whatever, etc...) and even with a 1.28Mb DSL, one could still record
months of traffic.  Not bad for a ~130$ disk and a pc headed for the trash (the
logging machine).
	Another use -- if we are able to call a filter for incoming -- programs like
virus checkers and ad/cookie/script/looping-image busters could be plugins to
squid.  Why shouldn't squid support something like ijb (Internet
Junkbuster Proxy @ http://internet.junkbuster.com/) as a plugin?
	Squid already supports "redirect" plugins, why not input/output filter
plugins?
	I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly, ??) that a redirect filter won't
see the content (data) of a 'POST' request.  So a 'output' filter would
filter not only the HTML 'GET' messages from a client, but the content
of POST requests and similar as well.  Input filters would filter header and
data coming from a server before it goes into the local cache.
	Theoretically one could have "post-process" filters that would filter
content to individual clients as it comes out of the cache -- so different
clients could receive different HTML streams, but I'm more interested in
a pre-cache plugin.
	Still sound so crazy?
-linda
	Another example -- suppose I use multiple clients behind a squid-proxy.
Now let's say a couple of those are win machines (98,2000,xp,etc...).  Now
suppose I want to scan for harmful