Re: [squid-users] Re: Solaris 8x86

From: Brett Lymn <blymn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 18:24:47 +0930

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 01:12:00PM -0700, Waitman C. Gobble wrote:

> I tried solaris x86 about a month ago and found (~frustratingly) it was
> pretty much junk. I have also seen many newsgroup postings and magazine
> articles confirming/collaborating my opinion.

Hmmmm not been my experience.

> The biggest problem I had with solaris x86 was with network interfaces,
> they kept going down, and when they were up they ran goofy. Pretty
> unreliable.

We have a few solaris x86 boxes here, some running squid, others
running squid plus ipfilter. The machines have been (so far, and
$DEITY please spare me ;-) rock solid.

> Of course, to be fair, I DIDN'T try to get my hands on one of the two or
> three network cards that solaris x86 "supports out of the box" - and had
> to use a "third party" driver....

two or three is an exaggeration, there are quite a few supported
network cards and the ones that are supported are hardly what you
could call rare or exotic. The machines I mentioned have Intel
network cards in them, these cards were picked because they were on
the compatiability list. I cannot see how you can bag Solaris for
this when Linux and the *BSD camps all recommend buying cards from the
supported list rather than trying to make some random hardware work.

> However, the same cards I used on that box work fine on Linux, FreeBSD
> and Windows machines.... without any trouble...

OK, so, the Solaris drivers were crap maybe getting supported cards
would be a better option next time.

--
Brett Lymn