Re: [squid-users] Re: Solaris 8x86

From: Waitman C. Gobble <waitman@dont-contact.us>
Date: 07 Oct 2002 07:02:31 -0700

Hello

Sorry if my message was a little rough, I just had a bad taste in my
mouth after messing around with solaris x86... I suppose it didn't help
the original poster much with their question...

When a company like Sun sells an OS like Solaris x86 for $20 on their
web site, you kinda get the feeling like the thing is in their
"rock-bottom clearance catch-all" isle. Heck, they have other items at
deep-discount too.

True, I probably could have gone out and bought a decent network card,
but this machine was never intended for a production environment, and I
didn't want to invest more in a network card than the operating system.

My opinion is that either Sun painted themselves into a corner on the
low-end server market, or they just plain stayed out of it to begin
with. What I have read recently about Sun, which makes sense, is that
they don't sell Operating systems, they sell hardware and support for
the hardware.