Re: [squid-users] FTP clients/access

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 05:23:44 -0500

WebDAV is not proprietary, it is a IETF proposed standard. From the FAQ:

http://www.webdav.org/other/faq.html#Q12

WebDAV does not speak FTP, and it wasn't my intent to imply that it did.
  WebDAV provides a means to upload files to a webserver using only the
HTTP protocol with WebDAV extensions. Apache supports WebDAV, but your
web hosting provider may not permit its use.

Note also that Squid supports the FTP PUT method, so you could use an
HTTP client that knows how to use Squid appropriately to upload your
files via FTP (but a standard FTP client isn't going to work). WebDAV
is just a nicer method of doing the same thing, and there are several
standalone tools to make use of WebDAV.