[squid-users] how to keep sending the cached version while refreshing in the background

From: Arjé Cahn <Arje@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:29:39 +0200

Hi all,

Suppose that my webserver is behind a slow (DSL) connection that sometimes even fails to connect. I would like to use Squid as an accelerator located at a hosting farm.

Can I get Squid to do this:

- Request for foo.html comes in from client
- Squid immediately sends cached foo.html
- If needed, Squid refreshes the page in the background (but keeps sending the cached version to clients while doing this)
- If the connection between Squid and the webserver fails, it keeps trying for X times
- When the refreshed page is in, Squid overwrites previously cached version

The main idea is that Squid buffers the slow or failed request BUT KEEPS SENDING cached pages. I have the feeling that this is a standard Squid concept, but I can't find it in the manuals! What do I have to do?

Regards,

Arjé Cahn

Content Management Department
Hippo Webworks