Re: [squid-users] Innocuous header that maybe won't get bounced this time.... real question about Squid

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 00:56:38 -0500

Your other posts made it to the list, Simon. No one is answering
because no one has an answer that you want like to hear.

You don't just need another proxy to do what you're wanting, you need
another OS. As Henrik has discussed in the past on this list, no
current free OS supports the sort of network packet mangling you need.
Linux is close (and was closer in 2.2 than in current 2.4 versions), but
would still require significant development to make it do what you want.

I suspect that among Squid developers Henrik is the fellow you'd want to
hire if you really need this feature in Squid, as he knows the Linux
kernel networking layer and Squid extremely well. Otherwise, you'll
have to go with one of the two(?) proprietary web caching vendors that
supports this (though /none/ of them recommend the use of this feature
for a lot of good reasons). Given that the two vendors in question are
among the most expensive, hiring Henrik for a couple months development
might be a more affordable option, though not by much, as a good
developer costs good money.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.