Re: [squid-users] Advice needed on transparent proxy problem

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:20:14 +0200

Kamesh Patel wrote:

> Marc,
>
> <snip>
> > Not necessarily, by means of trans. proxying,
> > if a firewall is being used, outgoing access
> > to port 80 could be blocked (e.g.).
> <snip>
>
> I do agree with you here, but the a new problem arises which is the manual
> configuration of every laptop/desktop within the company... the main problem
> here is remote users.
>
> They can follow instructions set out in an email but the likelihood that
> they will do it immediately, therefore not having to remember to do it
> later, is quiet a remote possibility!
>
> I wish things like this were simple!!!

  Yes, at our site, we use Altiris for sw. distribution on
  PC's. IE or Netscape being packaged in such a way
  that if they are installed, the correct proxy settings are already in
place.
  If a PC is completely re-installed, an w2k 'image' (e.g.) is
transferred
  to the PC and this includes a browser with correct proxy settings
  for our environment.
  So users are not too much bothered with that or not bothered at all.

> A question for you, do you encounter the same problem with secure websites
> as i do?, if so how do you over come them? in terms of implementing a

  No, I have no experience with that specific problem, but we are
  not using transp. proxying.

  Best Regards,

  M.

--
 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM