[squid-users] DSL ISP will require authentication: can squid provide login/passw??

From: Depto Suporte <baires1948ar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:23:53 -0300

Hi,

My DSL provider will soon require login and password for web navigation. I
think they will implement transparent proxying (ports 80, 443) with
authentication. It seems that it has something to do with fighting cable
piracy.

The problem is: I have a linux gateway which is a proxy for a dozen internal
users, and is connected to that DSL provider. Those users already provide
login/password for proxy authentication at the linux gateway level. So far
it has been working perfectly.

Now there is this new ISP authentication: I don't know what is going to
happen. Maybe will the users be prompted twice when they open their
browsers? But then, I would need to provide the ISP login/password to ALL
users in the LAN (in addition to the local squid login/passwords they
already use every day).

Can squid handle this and hide the new ISP authentication from the internal
users? Can the authentication (with the ISP) be automated by squid?

The ISP doesn't have a solution for linux, but they say (?) it will work for
windows servers. (I don't know enough to confirm if this is possible with
windows proxies).

Thanks,

baires.