Re: [squid-users] DSL ISP will require authentication: can squid provide login/passw??

From: Waitman C. Gobble <waitman@dont-contact.us>
Date: 22 Oct 2002 18:53:14 -0700

they are probably using pppoe for authentication. this would require you
to simply authenticate to get on the network in the first place, and
they wouldn't need to mess around configuring ports for this and that.

i am not sure what authentication on a dsl line has to do with cable
piracy, i would be more concerned about privacy, ie i wouldn't want them
monitoring my traffic, but what to do. i guess it IS good marketing data
for them.

i am not sure that squid is what you want to use to try to accomplish
the authentication thing.

first, verify that they ARE using pppoe, if so do a google search, i
found lots of results myself.

if my guess is wrong, my apologies.

best,

Waitman Gobble