Re: [squid-users] Windows Update still won't work

From: Scott Kveton <kveton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:10:35 -0700

> Hmm, that's interesting.
>
> I too am running v2.4S7 but have seen no problems with WindowsUpdate.
> This is with Win98, Win2K and WinXP clients, and without any special
> configuration of Squid.
>
> Does anyone know why some people are having problems and others not?

We had the same problem until I setup our pac files to tunnel https as
well as http methods.

After doing a dump of the traffic coming from the client, we saw that
when making the Windows Update connection the user first makes an http
connection and then begins to make https connections after that. I'm
guessing that Windows Update didn't like seeing the same cookie coming
from two IP addresses and so the update failed. The http connection
came from our squid box and the https connection came from the client
(because we weren't telling our clients to use the proxy server for
https). Once I changed the pac file to use https Windows Update worked
like a champ.

Scott :-)