Re: [squid-users] Squid and objects

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 26 Oct 2002 08:43:21 +1000

Hi Bilal.

Just a hint: Start a question thread with a new email, not a reply-to an
email from a different question thread. Emailer's link them together,
and your mail may get missed if you do that.

On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 01:54, Bilal Yousuf wrote:

> Hi squid users,
>
> I would appreciate if anyone could help by answering any of the
> questions below:
> 1. Does squid regard a web page with images, text etc. as a single
> object or as multiple objects and does it know the relationship between
> the objects?

Multiple independent objects.

> 2. How does squid determine when an object has expired or how does it
> determine that a certain object needs to be removed from the cache?

By the HTTP metadata, cache-control headers, client request headers, and
some heuristics.

> 3. When an object has expired, does Squid remove that single object or
> does it remove all the objects of the web page that contained the
> expired object?

The single object.

> 4. When a request comes in from the user for a web page and squid has
> some of the requested objects in its cache, does it fetch the requested
> objects that it does not have in its cache or does it fetch all the
> objects for that page?

One object at a time. To get a web page with 50 graphics, the user must
send 51 requests.

Rob