RE: [squid-users] Dual Cache

From: Lightfoot.Michael <Lightfoot.Michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:26:06 +1100

> Is it possible to setup two squid servers, and split traffic
> accross these?

There are several ways to achieve such traffic sharing, ranging widely
in complexity and efficiency.

I have experience with some of these at a large site - 25,000 desktops
distributed all over Australia with 24 production squid caches and about
450 local office Bordermanager caches in a four or five level hierarchy
largely to save WAN bandwidth.

Between the WAN and the Internet we had three levels of cache involving
six squid boxen which were at the two lower levels each configured to
have a default parent and a backup parent. The WAN was physically and
logically split into two so that one top WAN level cache did each side
of this split with the other being the backup.

The clients in the central office in Canberra used a rotation scheme in
their proxy.pac to divide them between the cache pairs (on a per session
basis.) This resulted in all the traffic being fairly evenly split
between these six caches.

I haven't gone into great detail here as the situation was complicated
by the fact that we had a DR site in Sydney (including backup
firewall/DMZ) which was on one side of the WAN, and a complex dodgy
split DNS system.

Another solution is to use a level 4 switch such as the Cisco stuff or
BigIP.

Lastly you can use DNS tricks to split the traffic (one name with two IP
addresses.)

For a small to medium site I would recommend the proxy.pac solution
which is fairly easy to implement if you know some javascript.

> Is it possible to configure the one cache to be used for
> "browsing" and the second for "downloads"?

You can only do this with a two-level cache system and ACLs at the lower
level or by some fancy stuff in proxy.pac.

Michael Lightfoot
Unix Consultant
ISG Host Systems
Comcare
+61 2 62750680
Apologies for the rubbish that follows...

NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or
disclose any information in the message or attachments. If received in
error, please notify the sender by return email immediately. Comcare
does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.

Comcare's Canberra and Melbourne offices have moved to new premises.

We hope this notice makes it easier for you to update your records.

New street addresses:

Canberra office
Level 1
14 Moore street
CANBERRA CITY ACT 2601

Melbourne Office
Level 2
121 William Street
MELBOURNE VIC 3001
Claims Fax Number 03 9620 4721

Please call Comcare on 1300 366 979 if you have any queries.