Re: [squid-users] virus protection and squid

From: Jerry Murdock <jmurdock@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 02:22:59 -0500

It should only seem slow, but the total time for the file should be
comparable. If it's not, then there is a problem.

The entire file has to be downloaded before the virus addin can scan it.
During the download, only a minimum amount of data is trickled to the
browser to keep the connection alive. Once the file has been
downloaded/scanned at the proxy, the browser should get it "all at once"
at whatever rate the link between browser and proxy is capable of.

I have only done preliminary testing with the dg addin, but I think the
trickle rate is a little too restrictive.

On Trend VirusWall, I generally set the rate at 1KB for every 1MB of data
received. The rate may be a little high for really paranoid types, but it
makes determining the "real" progress of a download pretty easy to
decipher. If the browser says 3KB of a 6MB download has been received, I
know the transfer is really halfway done.

Jerry