[squid-users] Squid 2.5PRE13 + W2K + IE6 (latest patches) = BROKEN

From: Mike Dailey <daileyml@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:53:39 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

We are experiencing a problem with the Squid proxy we
are testing for corporate rollout (replacing all of
our NetCache boxes.)

Our Squid 2.5PRE13 install, running on RedHat 7.3, is
using NTLM authentication against W2K AD servers in
the enterprise.

Some users are using Windows 2000 Professional, with
IE6. The rest are XP w/ IE6. Everything was fine
until several of the W2K users installed the latest
"recommended" patches for IE6. Now they are not able
to browse any web sites.

Quite simply, they are denied access to any sites for
what appears to be a lack of authentication
credentials. It appears that the latest patched IE6
(under W2K) fails to pass the authentication
credentials to Squid. IE6 under XP runs with no
issues.

This obviously sounds like a MS problem instead of a
Squid problem, I know. However, MS does not support
"open source" software used with their software, and
as far as they are concerned there is "no problem"
with their browser.

Has anyone else seen this issue with recently patched
versions of IE6 on W2K? Any workaround? Any
suggestions (besides dumping IE...)???

If this issue is resolved, my company will be
deploying dozens of Linux servers running Squid, and
will be a first-step in bringing Open Source into this
organization.

Thanks,

Mike Dailey