[squid-users] overwriting log file data

From: Larry Scritchfield <lscritch@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 12:16:03 -0500

When squid log files are rotated, what happens to the old files?

Are they deleted, in the same sense as rm'ing them?

Do the new log files overwrite the old ones immediately, or is that disk
space overwritten as needed?

If I REALLY want to keep log files which have been rotated out from being
recovered, how would I do that?

I've looked into the "scrub" utility from Jim Garlick of Lawrence Livermore
Labs. But, to use scrub you issue: scrub [-options] file

But there is no "file" in the case of log files that have been rotated -
the filename(s) are in use again.

I suppose that to prevent recovery of log data, I'd have to use scrub to
fill the remaining space on the filesystem, then rm that file. Does that
sound right?

Larry