Re: [squid-users] squid ?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 23:08:07 -0600

Comments inline.

Mcen navaraj wrote:

> hello,
>
> i cannot able to ping from the LAN in which we use
> squid as proxy.
> please tell me how to enable the icmp ?
> when i read the documentation they give one flag for
> icmp protocol.
> Is there any relation between --enable-icmp flag in
> the compilation
> process and the ping.

Squid is an HTTP proxy (this is the very first FAQ entry). You cannot
ping through an HTTP proxy. --enable-icmp is an option to enable the
ability for Squid to make peer selections based on ping response time.

> another question:
>
> I cannot able to use any mail clients in my network.
> please tell me how to enable the smtp and pop3
> protocol.
> enabling these port(smtp and pop3) will solve the
> problem ?

Squid is an HTTP proxy.

> i didnt configure the masquerding in my system ?
> it leads to this problem ?

Yes.

> configuration of masquerding is important for squid ?

No. Squid doesn't care about masquerading. The protocols you are
talking about have nothing to do with Squid, but can be made to work
through a masqueraded connection.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.