Re: [squid-users] Restarting Squid

From: Norman <norman.elliott@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 16:05:34 +0000

Waitman C. Gobble wrote:

>hello!
>
>Well, you don't really want to change permissions on things to do this
>from the web.
>
>what i suggest is this: set up a cron job that runs as root, that looks
>in a database or in a text file for a "signal" then it restarts squid.

<snip>

>your php script can add the "signal" entry to the database, or text
>file.

<snip>

> I have been asked to set up squid for a local school so that
> a number of tutors can access 2 lists, one to allow access
> to specific sites and the other to be a general ban list
> something like
>
> .netscape.com
> .squid.org
>
> in one and
> .com
> .uk
> .es
> .net
> in the other

Thanks Waitman,
Sorry I took so long getting back to you.
I have set up a cron job as you suggested. I have completed
the web pages and edited the php stuff so it adds a dummy file after
it has updated the files squid reads. the cron job checks for the
dummy file and if found does squid -k reconfigure then deletes
the dummy.
Seems to work just as I wanted.
thanks again,
norman