Re: [squid-users] authenticate_ip_ttl issues

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 08 Nov 2002 17:51:12 +1100

On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 13:39, Brett Randall wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> I am trying to get the authenticate_ip_ttl option to work but am
> having issues. My goal is to have authentication working so that when
> a user authenticates to the proxy server and is allowed to send
> requests, they don't have to enter their username/password again for
> another hour. Main reason being that they are getting annoyed with
> having to input their details when they receive html e-mails with
> images, etc...
>
> My problem is that when they authenticate, squid doesn't appear to do
> anything about remembering their IP address. As soon as they close
> their browser/e-mail client and reopen, they are asked for their
> details again.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated... As many details as I can
> think you will need to help are below. I normally forget something so
> please let me know what else you need to know in order to help.

the ip ttl option doesn't do anything like what you are asking for. It
is used to -limit- the number of IP's a single user can be on at one
point in time, not to remember that a specific IP is for a given user.

The user software *has* to remember the user credentials no matter what.
You could look into NTLM authentication for MS based users.

Rob