Re: [squid-users] in case of a squid miss

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 08 Nov 2002 18:00:11 +1100

On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 08:34, Hassan Ali wrote:
> I am working on the design of a image cache server which would be
using squid. The problem I am facing is that in case of a cache miss I
want to

> 1) Deliver a static file ( a clear gif ).
> 2) Still request the URL from the image-server.
>
> Basically I dont want to wait around for the image server to download
and process the image and yet I want the cache to be updated as soon as
the image is available.

You will need to hack squid. The basic thing to do would be to have a
static internal object that is the gif file (a la the icons), and in the
client side code use that storeentry where the current miss detection
occurs. To retrieve the other url, you need to have a routine that will
read the entire thing via the store (which will load the object into the
cache).

You can do this very easily in 2.6/3.0, or with a little less ease in
2.5

Rob
(Who does contract programming for squid, should you need commercial
assistance :})