[squid-users] ReiserFS + Cache Server Upgrade

From: Mark Tinka <aknit44@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:19:16 +0000 (GMT)

hi all..

i've been running squid on SuSE Linux for over a year
now, with no problems.. my network loads have been
going up and i've finally purchased my new server on
which to install squid..

i am seriously thinking of setting up my new SuSE
Linux 8.1 system with ReiserFS.. but i really want to
know whether i should expect any boost in system
performance...

below are the system specs for my new hardware...

Intel SE7500CW2 Socket 603 Xeon Motherboard
2x 1.8GHz Intel Xeon Processor [3.6GHz]
4x 266MHz 512MB DDR RAM [4GB]
4x 36GB Seagate Cheetah Ultra60SCSI 68Pin 10,000RPM
52x IDE CD-ROM Drive
2x 10/100Mbps Ethernet Interface
Adaptec Ultra SCSI PCI Card 19160 160Mbps

i am going to upgrade from SuSE Linux 8.0 to SuSE
Linux 8.1 with kernel 2.2.19-SMP.. will ReiserFS
improve the performance of my Squid box compared to
ext2 FS...

i've also read around that splitting more the disks
across more than one SCSI controller can help boost
performance, by reducing choking on a single SCSI
controller.. with my configuration, of 4 SCSI disks,
would be it wise to install a second SCSI controller
card...

all help appreciated...

AKNIT