Re: [squid-users] Squid as proxy for aol im

From: Jerry Murdock <jmurdock@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:42:07 -0500

As Henrik said 1,2 & 3 can all be accomplished with standard ACLs.

Windows Messenger and Yahoo use standard HTTP or Socks proxies, so the
connect method doesn't really come into play.

Windows Messenger (currently at least) has a distinct user-agent string
that can be blocked. When tunneling over http, Yahoo and AIM
user-agent strings claim Mozilla/4.01 & Mozilla/4.08. Depending on your
user mix, those strings may be blockable as well.

The problem with #2 is AIM works quite happily over standard SSL
ports, making it effectively useless. The user-agent header isn't passed
for https sessions. The only effective way I've found is to block
login.oscar.aol.com.

AIM also supports using authentication over HTTP/HTTPS proxies, possibly
making #1 useless.

#3 seems a bit draconian and a sure way to really piss off your users.

Jerry