Re: [squid-users] Squid with authentication

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:13:23 -0600

Evelio wrote:

> Hello!
> We have a customer that wants to control source IP, date /time and
> user/password of PC clients to the web.
>
> I would like to know if these three things can be combined together with
> squid ACL.
> - Has anyone done it ?

Yes.

> - Do you have any example or FAQ?

The Squid FAQ covers all of these things. In addition to the squid.conf
documentation and the other online documentation for Squid, I think it
is all pretty well covered. Get each part working separately, as
documented, and then put it all together with appropriate ACLs (which
also pretty well documented).

> - What authentication system did you use?

Doesn't matter. All of them look the same to Squid...and you treat them
the same way in your ACLs.

I suggest starting out with some form of Basic authentication, since it
is simpler to make go, and if you need digest and/or ntlm you can add it
to the picture later. ncsa_auth is really easy to use for a beginner,
if you have any experience using htpasswd with Apache.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.