RE: [squid-users] Squid Memory Limitations?

From: Andrew Sawyers <andrew@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:23:07 -0500

Robert,
I was asking because one of our squid accelerated cache servers has 4GB of
RAM in it and we saw a scenario in which it looks like squid restarted
suspiciously close to 2048MB in process size.
The main reason we don't suspect this to be the actual case is because all 3
of the cache servers appear to have restarted at or about the same time; so
we suspected a DoS attempt.
Since we noticed this suspicious restart on the biggest cache server first,
I thought I'd find out for sure if there could be a problem there. We've
set back our cache_mem to ~550MBs so we don't expect to exceed 2GB
again...we're just leaving ~2GB of ram unused by doing so.
These are running on 32bit Intel processors and we are running linux.
So, just to get it from the 'horses mouth' per se, we should not exceed 2GB
process sizes with squid at this point in time?
Thanks,
Andrew