Re: [squid-users] Re: secure authentication on squid

From: Jose Araujo <jlaraujo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:05:40 +0000

Ilya wrote:

>> I may be wrong, but maybe you can try to use digest password auth.
>>
>> That way, the password is sent encrypted.
>
> Can you explain it in detail???

Maybe i am being a bad person, but everything (and more) you need to
know about digest is in the RFC, they can be found on:

HTTP basic and Digest auth: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2617.txt

Basically, when the client tries to authenticate, the server sends a
variable key then the client joins the server key, the username and the
password and encrypts it with a one-way hash.

The server receives this hash and compares it with a similar hash built
with the username and password from its database.

If the hashes are equal, the server accepts the connection.

Disclaimer: The text above was written from memory, i'm not sure if it's
99% correct ;-)

> Thanks a lot.
> Ilya

Hope it helps