RE: [squid-users] logging of errors by squid-2...?

From: Lightfoot.Michael <Lightfoot.Michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:36:45 +1100

Maybe I'm missing something bleeding obvious (not the first time) but
isn't the whole idea of producing a report of certain observable
behaviour a means to an end rather than an end in itself?

The FAQ clearly explains the various HTTP status codes which map to
certain behaviour characteristics of the undelying software (and the
Internet). So you should be asking (management) questions such as "How
many instances of File Not Found have occurred in the last 24 hours?"
The answer is the sum of all "404" status codes. Whether that mapped to
some particular ERR_* code in squid-1 is irrelevant because that is the
question you should have been asking of your squid-1 report, isn't it?

I use Calamaris to produce daily and weekly reports of various things in
the squid logs (and I am experimenting with various other reporting
tools to do user activity reporting) for both management's and my own
(sysadmin's) benefit. Calamaris doesn't really look at status codes in
any detail, concentrating on other things more to do with activity and
performance.

This is obviously not good enough if you are trying to achieve a
particular end (what kinds of errors are occurring) but other than
reporting on who is being denied access to our banned sites management
doesn't want this information. I have to use another tool to get the
info management wants (I'm trying various other tools for this.) So we
are back to asking you what information do you want to extract? What
information are management requesting?

Michael Lightfoot
Unix Consultant
ISG Host Systems
Comcare
+61 2 62750680
Apologies for the rubbish that follows...
NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or
disclose any information in the message or attachments. If received in
error, please notify the sender by return email immediately. Comcare
does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.

Comcare's Canberra and Melbourne offices have moved to new premises.

We hope this notice makes it easier for you to update your records.

New street addresses:

Canberra office
Level 1
14 Moore street
CANBERRA CITY ACT 2601

Melbourne Office
Level 2
121 William Street
MELBOURNE VIC 3001
Claims Fax Number 03 9620 4721

Please call Comcare on 1300 366 979 if you have any queries.