Re: [squid-users] Re: secure authentication on squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 21 Nov 2002 13:37:18 +0100

tor 2002-11-21 klockan 11.35 skrev Graeme Wood:

> Oh really? I wish this were true. Unless netscape have had a sea-change of
> opinion on this in the latest version none of their browsers support
> digest authentication. It doesn't even appear in mozilla.

The Mozilla 1.0.1 I have seems to support digest.

The Apache mod_auth_digest documentation has the following to say on the
browser support:

    Digest authentication provides a more secure password
    system than Basic authentication, but only works with
    supporting browsers. As of July 2002, the major browsers
    that support digest authentication are Opera, MS Internet
    Explorer (fails when used with a query string), Amaya and
    Mozilla. Since digest authentication is not as widely
    implemented as basic authentication, you should use it
    only in controlled settings.