Re: [squid-users] Transparent proxy, authenticacion, different scenarios

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 21 Nov 2002 10:53:19 +1100

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 02:45, Evelio wrote:

> Which possibilities/scenarios do I have?
>
> 1) A transparent proxy is not possible, isnīt it?
> >From squid.conf
>
> # WARNING: proxy_auth can't be used in a transparent proxy. It
> # collides with any authentication done by origin servers. It may
> # seem like it works at first, but it doesn't.

With squid today, no it's not possible.

> 2) By the way, what's the appearence of authentication if you don't use
> transparent proxy. Is it like a browser form when you access an http
> directory
> protected by htpasswd?

Yes.

> 3) Someone has told me to use another proxy software, ie, SOCKS server

You still need to authenticate the user, and I'm not aware of any SOCKS
authentication standard (but then I don't encounter SOCKS much).

> 4) Any other idea?

1) intercept port 80, send to a web page describing how to use the
proxy.

2) intercept port 80, send to squid with custom code to perform virtual
authentication. I've described this here many times. It's a project that
needs a sponsor. If implemented this would allow transparent proxy
authentication.

Rob