[squid-users] Transparent proxy, authenticacion, different scenarios

From: Evelio <evelio.martinez@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:45:51 +0100

Hello!

A possible customer wants to know where his workers are navigating on
internet.

This can be done with squid proxy. The customer wants
to control source/destination IP, date/time and user/password
of windows* PC clients to the web.

We already have here squid transparent proxy and packet filtering working
together but
we do need authentication for this customer.

Which possibilities/scenarios do I have?

1) A transparent proxy is not possible, isn´t it?
From squid.conf

# WARNING: proxy_auth can't be used in a transparent proxy. It
# collides with any authentication done by origin servers. It may
# seem like it works at first, but it doesn't.

2) By the way, what's the appearence of authentication if you don't use
transparent proxy. Is it like a browser form when you access an http
directory
protected by htpasswd?

3) Someone has told me to use another proxy software, ie, SOCKS server

4) Any other idea?

Thanks in advance

Any link, FAQ, HOWTO to show me the light will be appreciated

Evelio Martínez