Re: [squid-users] Transparent proxy, authenticacion, different scenarios

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 19 Nov 2002 18:52:05 +0100

tis 2002-11-19 klockan 16.45 skrev Evelio:

> 1) A transparent proxy is not possible, isnīt it?

No. The browser must be configured to use a proxy for authentication to
be possible.

> 2) By the way, what's the appearence of authentication if you don't use
> transparent proxy. Is it like a browser form when you access an http
> directory protected by htpasswd?

Yes, If using Basic HTTP authentication.

If using NTLM authentication then MSIE users logged on to the domain
automatically log on to the proxy with their domain username (password
is protected by the domain).

> 3) Someone has told me to use another proxy software, ie, SOCKS server

Is also an option, but won't give you as detailed information about web
traffic as using a HTTP proxy, or provide any benefits in terms of
authentication..