[squid-users] 2 problems with squid

From: Matthew Kaminski <matthew.kaminski@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:54:41 +1300

Hey everybody, i'll make this as short as possible.

Background: I run Squid 2.4 Stable6 or a RedHar 7.3 (P200 with 196 mb ram
and 4 GB cache size) box in public college with about 2600 students. As well
I run novell 5.1 network and i got squid to authenticate to NDS. It all
works great except 2 moderate issues.

Problem 1: Users are able to change the proxy settings of the browser, which
is very bad, as that way they can basically bypass the proxy. I was thinking
that I could disable assess on port 80 from all hosts on my lan, excpet
squid machine. that will cause that the ONLY way to access the new was
through the squid machine. Can someone comment on that ??? is that the right
way to do it ??? I'm worried there may be some unwanted side effects... is
that the case ???

Problem 2: I currently have 2 users here, for which the authenticatio doesnt
work. I have their username and passwords (for testing purposes). When i run
squid_ldap_auth manually, it returns OK for both of them, yet squid fails to
authenticate them and give them the access the the net. this is absurd and i
need to eliminate it, otherwise i need to keep temporary web-access account
which is unacceptable.

thats all. Thanks in advance...

P.S. Squid is the best... i worked with novell border manager and ms-proxy
and several others.... I cant believe that such a good softwre as squid is
free.

Matthew Kaminski
Network Administrator

Howick College