[squid-users] opening of flood gates

From: Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:29:35 -0500

i looked a little at the mailing list archives but could not really
find anything about the behavior we are seeing.

we use squid as a reverse proxy in front of some web servers to cache
results and reduce the load on the origin servers. some of the requests
to the origin servers take a long time, and it seems that when squid is
waiting to receive an answer for a particular page from the origin
server all additional requests squid receives for that same page are
directly sent to the origin server as well, which tends to bog down the
origin server completely in our case...

is there a way to make squid not directly forward these new requests to
the origin server while it is already waiting for that same page?

jens