Re: [squid-users] Need Help here

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:38:33 +0100

Authentication to Squid is completely separate from authentication to
WWW servers. The Squid configuration on authentication is unrelated
to the WWW server configuration on authentication.

For a WWW site requiring authentication to be proxied the WWW server
must support at least one authentication method that can be proxied.
Normally this is "Basic HTTP authentication", also known as "Plain
text authentication", but "Digest HTTP authentication" is also an
option if supported by the server and expected clients

Note: not all servers or browsers supports Digest HTTP authentication
yet.. has only been standardised since June 1999 with a earlier
specification published in January 1997, but the support is starting
to get widespread coverage now.